Ad ID: 3340
Added: March 20, 2019
Location: United States
Dates and hours of operation: 10:00 am to 7:00 pm
Entry fee: free
Types of payment accepted: Types of payment accepted
Woolly Weekend at Shepherd’s Cross
Thursday April 25, Friday April 26 & Saturday April 27, 2019
10:00 am – 7:00 p.m.
• Woolly Weekend is a “sheep to shawl” festival held at Shepherd’s Cross, an authentic working sheep farm, just north of Claremore OK on Scenic Route 66.
• Come to the farm and watch as the sheep are shorn (given a haircut). Sheep shearing occurs throughout the day. Over 250 sheep will be shorn on the farm this year.
• Watch the wool processed on site – combed, spun, woven, knitted, crocheted and felted into finished products.
• Children’s activities include weaving, games, wool project, and coloring contest.
• Visit the Farm Animal Barn & pet the barnyard animals, including baby lambs.
• Tour the educational interactive Farm Museum & Four Story Observation Silo.
• Sheep to Shawl: Over the three day event at least three shawls will be created entirely from the first shorn wool on the first morning of the event. It is rare to find a true Sheep to Shawl event.
• Short Course Fiber Classes – learn drop spindling or needle felting both days. See website or call for information.
• Tour the Bible Garden – guided or self-guided tours throughout the day.
• Shepherd’s Shop features a host of “woolly” and farm related handmade gifts made by Shepherd’s Cross and over 50 local crafters; farm fresh meat, Amish jams, health foods, yarns, and much more! Additionally the shop features a mission section; purchases made in this section of the store return 100% of the sale price to the indigenous people that made them (countries include Afghanistan, Thailand, Kyrgyzstan, Malawi, Uganda and more)
• Shepherd’s Cross features farm fresh, Animal Welfare Approved, pasture raised, free range, chemical free American lamb meat and Dexter beef. Samples will be available. USDA processed meat is available at the farm for purchase year round. The only AWA sheep farm in OK.
• Yarn, yarn, & more yarn – natural, chemical free, many types, produced and processed on the farm. Shepherd’s Cross also offers roving, batts, felting supplies, knitting needles, spinning and weaving supplies and much more. AWA approved wool.
• Fiber Arts, Animal Husbandry & Shearing lessons available at the farm throughout the year.
• Shepherd’s Cross is home to a non-profit Christian organization named Heart of the Shepherd that hosts the event.
o Teaching basic agricultural principles and their relationship to the Bible are instrumental in the educational component of the farm.
• Volunteers needed:
o Demonstrate fiber arts – spin, weave, needle felt or bring your favorite fiber art form
o Join our Sheep to Shawl Team. Anyone who works with fiber is welcome. Inquire for additional information.
• This is a free event. Donations are welcome – suggested donation of $5 per person.
• Groups of twenty or more please pre-register.
• Picnic area is available; bring your picnic lunch with you; limited seating.
• Snack and beverage concessions are available at Shepherd’s Shop.
• Woolly Weekend proceeds even in the case of inclimate weather. Demonstrations will take place in the Amish built gambrel roof tour barn, which houses some of the animals as well as the wool processing, farm museum, and the gift shop.
• Shepherd’s Cross is an accredited Agritourism facility, a Made in Oklahoma Company, and is Animal Welfare Approved through “A Greener World”.
• To find out more information about this woolly event please visit our website: www.ShepherdsCross.com
Shepherd’s Cross & Heart of the Shepherd
16792 East 450 Road, Claremore, OK 74017
Dr. Diane Dickinson, president & executive director